Darwin City Council has kindly offered the following comments (in blue) relating to garage sales.
(If a comment wasn't made on a particluar question, then there is no blue answer.)
- Are permits required? Generally a person does not require a permit if the event is held within private property
- Are there any laws controlling the posting of garage sale signs?
- Are there limits to how many garage sales one person can hold per year? There is no limit on how many garage sales a person may have.
- Are there laws about using the footpath in front of the person's house? Footpaths are intended for pedestrian access only. This is to enable unobstructed passageway for people with prams and also wheelchairs. A person who, without a permit, stacks or stores goods or displays or exposes them, or permits their stacking, storing or exposing, whether or not for sale in, on or over a public place or outside any premises adjoining a public place commits an offence.
- Other comments offered.
- Is there a page on the web site that covers the laws realting to garage sales?
1) Laws are always subject to change.
2) If there is any doubt, you need to confirm current council laws.
3) egaragesales.com.au provides this information in good faith, but will not be held liable or responsible for any losses or penalties incurred as a result of changes to, or misinterpretation of, current council laws as amended from time to time.