The City of Yarra has kindly offered the following comments (in blue) relating to garage sales.
(If there is no blue answer on a particular question, then a comment wasn't made.)
- Are permits required? Permits are not required.
- Are there any laws controlling the posting of garage sale signs? Be sure to take them down after your sale ends.
- Are there limits to how many garage sales one person can hold per year? No – but neighbours might get annoyed if you have one every week and they may complain.
- Are there laws about using the footpath in front of the person's house? Do not obstruct the footpath.
- Other comments offered. It is a breach if you are selling as or for a commercial venture.
- Is there a page on the web site that covers the laws realting to garage sales?
1) Laws are always subject to change.
2) If there is any doubt, you need to confirm current council laws.
3) egaragesales.com.au provides this information in good faith, but will not be held liable or responsible for any losses or penalties incurred as a result of changes to, or misinterpretation of, current council laws as amended from time to time.