Moreton Bay Regional Council has kindly offered the following comments (in blue) relating to garage sales.
(If there is no blue answer on a particular question, then a comment wasn't made.)
- Are permits required? Generally there is no licence required to have a garage sale. For Pine Rivers District Only, No town planning approval is required, so long as the garage sale is a “one off.”
- Are there any laws controlling the posting of garage sale signs? Garage sale signs are not permitted to be placed on any council controlled land or any infrastructure (including telegraph poles, posts, street signs, trees, traffic lights etc).
- Are there limits to how many garage sales one person can hold per year? If garage sales are held fairly regularly (more than one a month) from the same property, it is possible that the use could be defined as a Material Change of Use. A development permit would then be required as the owner is changing the use of the property by introducing a business element that may not be permitted by the existing zoning rights.
- Are there laws about using the footpath in front of the person's house?
- Other comments offered.
- Is there a page on the web site that covers the laws relating to garage sales?
1) Laws are always subject to change.
2) If there is any doubt, you need to confirm current council laws.
3) egaragesales.com.au provides this information in good faith, but will not be held liable or responsible for any losses or penalties incurred as a result of changes to, or misinterpretation of, current council laws as amended from time to time.